We’re never quite sure how we’ll react in a crisis until that disaster strikes. How to prepare? We prepare by educating ourselves on potential situations so that our rational selves takes precedence once the event comes to pass. A dental emergency is no different. If you understand what constitutes an emergency, as well as the appropriate steps to take, it’s much more likely that your affected teeth will receive the appropriate care.
A dental emergency is pain or inflammation of the teeth or gums. We know this seems broad, but it’s important to know that a dental emergency doesn’t need to be a product of sudden trauma to demand immediate care. If you are experiencing an emergency, call our office as soon as possible to set up an appointment and receive instructions with immediate steps you should take.
What to Consider in the Case of a Dental Emergency
- If you are in extreme pain or if you have suffered dental trauma, call your dentist immediately. Our team has an emergency protocol in place, and we will provide instructions as to the steps you should take in the case of an emergency. Immediate action can be key, and make the difference between the tooth pulling through and the tooth dying.
- Don’t convince yourself that your dental problem is not important. If it’s preventing you from going about your activities, it needs attention. Putting off the problem can also allow an infection to worsen.
- If a tooth has fallen from its socket, save the tooth – place it into a glass of milk or saltwater and bring it with you when seeking emergency care.
- Rinse with saltwater to minimize infection and apply a cold compress to the area for pain relief. If the area is bleeding, holding moist gauze or a teabag to the site.
- Above all, stay calm. We will do everything possible to repair your tooth painlessly and restore your smile.
Finding an Emergency Dentist
Dr. de Jongh and our team are available to assist you. If it is after hours, please leave a message so that we may help you as soon as we receive it. We will assist with your emergency, soothe your pain and restore your smile as soon as possible.