At some point, everyone looks back at their face in the bathroom mirror and wonders when the hands of time began taking over. We can’t completely control the factors that lead to things like fine lines and wrinkles, like the breakdown of collagen and elastin, or the genetics that give you a particular bone structure, but there are things you can do to appear a more youthful version of you.
Protecting Your Skin From The Sun
The way your skin is aging can begin to affect your appearance as early as your 30th birthday (or even earlier with excessive sun exposure), or closer to midlife, depending on your habits and how you take care of your body and your skin. Certain external influences including the right anti-aging care can help minimize the first signs of aging like fine lines, brown marks, smile lines and crow’s feet.
Wearing Sunscreen Every Day
Completely staying out of the sun may not always be practical or an option, but ensuring that your skin is covered in a layer of SPF the best defense against sun damage. Dermatologists agree that UV exposure is the number one environmental aging factor. The sun damages the elastin in your skin and causes loss of collagen which results in drooping skin and wrinkles. Sun damage also causes discoloration and sun spots, and roughens skin texture.
Prep Your Skin Safely, Morning and Night
- Use a sunscreen that’s at least an SPF 30 on your face and other areas of your body that have sun exposure.
- Many makeup bases and moisturizers have built-in UV protection for an extra layer of defense in case you are prone to forgetting sunscreen.
- Decrease your exposure to the sun by standing in the shade, or switching sides of the road when walking to catch more shade pockets.
- Wear UV protective clothing when exercising outdoors or on days when you are going to have long-term sun exposure
- Avoid being in the sun between 10am and 4pm when the UV rays are most potent.
Use a Retinoid
The best topical creams to repair aging skin are typically retinoids. Retinoids are vitamin-A derivative compounds that have been shown to boost collagen production and cell turnover, as well as stimulate blood vessels in the area. This reduces oil and acne, smoothes skin and gives you a brighter, healthier glow. For best results, apply at night on a clean face.
Focus On Internal As Much As External
Younger, more youthful looking skin starts with the nutrients that reach it from inside the body. If you’re consistently applying topical creams and anti-aging products to your skin but have poor nutrition, you’re being reactive instead of proactive. The skin is the body’s largest organ, so diet directly affects how you visibly age.
Get Your Vitamins
- Take a vitamin D supplement of 1,000 IUs a day.
- Eat a diet that’s full of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that come from natural sources like olive oil, ground flaxseed and fish oils.
- Stay hydrated all day long by drinking plenty of water to keep your skin healthy.
- Cut back on processed foods and sugars that promote inflammation.
Your skin isn’t the only thing that can make you appear older than you actually are.
Give your smile a mini-makeover with:
- Teeth whitening – Both professional and home whitening kits will brighten your smile and give you increased confidence. Whitening your teeth can take years off of your appearance.
- Regular teeth cleanings – Regular cleanings help prevent built-up stains, which darken your smile and age you beyond your years. They also help you avoid more serious dental problems, which can cause tooth damage and eventual tooth loss.
Give yourself a refreshing boost by having a professional treatment done that can give more than the illusion of youth. These professional treatments will actually help regenerate cells and can slow the rate of changes that cause deep wrinkles and a dull texture in your complexion.
This invigorating treatment can be given in as little as 30 minutes and drives long-term skin health tailored to meet the specific needs of all skin types. It offers instant, noticeable results with no downtime or irritation. By removing dead skin cells and extracting impurities, the HydraFacial is able to cleanse, hydrate and moisturize your skin with immediate results.
This minimally invasive procedure uses minimally abrasive instruments to gently sand your skin, removing the thicker, uneven outer layer. This type of skin rejuvenation is used to treat light scarring, discoloration, sun damage and stretch marks.
These are just two affordable options for those interested in accessible anti-aging. Patients hoping for more dramatic changes to their skin have many more options, all available at our med spa. We offer a variety of treatments to help you slow the effects of aging skin. Schedule a consultation with Dr. David de Jongh today and be on your way to a more youthful look.